[ SHOWGSD-L ] Mediocrity is mediocrity

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:22:58 -0500

All this talk about dogs being dyed, dead tails, etc.  This has been
going on for many years.  I know people who personally have dyed their
dogs and finished their championships.  I've heard of dogs tails being
fixed and operations to correct other faults.  I've been told about
shows being fixed before you even get there for certain peoples dogs and
then that dog goes up.  When I've questioned some of these practices,
I've been told, "I'll do whatever it takes to win".   Let me say this,
if a dog has to be dyed, his tail has to be fixed, judges being bribed
or any other under handed stuff, then that dog isn't good enough to win
on it's own merit so who wants it?  What a waste of time and money.
Mediocrity is mediocrity and you can't cover it up in the dog's
offspring.  It keeps coming through from generation to generation.  If
your dog isn't good enough the way God meant him to be, then don't show
him at all?  You don't do anyone a favor by passing these qualities on
to his puppies.  It keeps getting incorporated in the lines and then
it's almost impossible to get out.  What are we going to be doing next,
going to an orthopedic surgeon and ask him to give our dogs a better lay
back of shoulder.  If we keep altering with our dogs genetic make-up, we
will lose all of the characteristics that the GSD has been known for to
begin with.  What happened to the beautiful OVAL bone, the substance,
the heads of our males?  Breed good quality to good quality to begin
with so you don't have to fool around with mother nature at all.
Barbara Galasso