[ SHOWGSD-L ] Maybe I'm Amazed

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:31:08 -0400

Many of the stories I write about are based on facts, some on fiction
and then some mixed together.  The following story is based wholly on
fact, but some details are changed to protect the identity of the person
that I'm writing about.  This person is too modest to accept any credit
for her acts of kindness.   Good, kind people give in many different
ways.  We are not all capable of giving in the same way, but to give in
any way no matter how small or large is an act of true friendship.
The last couple of weeks haven't been great ones for me but you get by
with a little help from your friends (and no, I don't mean those little
colored pills either......like in the Beatles song.......LOL)!   And
that's what this story is about......friendship.  I thought it would be
nice to share some things that some special people did for me,  my dogs
or dogs that other people have forgotten about.   Perhaps some of you
can share your own stories of some wonderful things that someone did for
you and your dogs.  First, I arrived home after an awful day and there
was a small package on my door step.  I thought it was something that I
ordered for the dogs.  Besides the address,  the words "Surprise" was
scrolled on the box.  I looked at the return address and it was from a
lovely lady I met on the List by the name of Paula.  She sent me some
home made jam she and her mom made and some hot sauce to snack on.  "How
generous of her," I thought.  She put a smile on my face just when I
needed it most.   Then there's always Donna who gives me a call or drops
me a note to let me know how her rescue work is coming along.  I truly
admire her courage.  And then there is
you.............................these acts of kindness reminded me of
how you gave of your friendship and what you did for me and my dog some
years ago.  Did I ever thank you enough?!  I don't think I possibly
could have.

MAYBE I'M AMAZED

       By

  Barbara J. Galasso

As the wipers move back and forth in a rhythm of dance across my
windshield, I'm reminded by the frayed rubber of one of the wipers, that
I have the new ones lying in the trunk.  I just bought them, knowing
they needed to be replaced, but old mother nature played a trick on me
and sent the steady pounding of rain to match the gray dullness of the
sky before I had a chance to replace them.  Back and forth they move
almost in a hypnotic progression before my eyes that are straining to
see the road ahead of me.  The 16 wheelers bathe my car in a river of
water making it almost impossible to see now.  As my car's tires hit
every pot hole, crack and crevice in the pavement, I'm reminded that I
live in one of the highest tax states in the country and I wonder just
what it is that New York does with our tax dollars.

With only my thoughts to keep me company, I first think about my dog
lying on the seat and how my heart is pounding in my chest filled with
anxiety rushing him to the emergency hospital.  As another wave of water
is thrown against my car by one of those big trucks, I wonder why I took
the highway to begin with.  I feel the tears well up in my eyes not
knowing what to expect when I bring him in to the hospital.  His big
brown eyes look at me as I turn around to check on him.  "Don't worry
fellow," I try to reassure him knowing that my words are not matching my
feelings.

As I pass one car after another, I wonder how long I've been driving and
when am I ever going to get to that hospital.  "What time is it anyway?"
I wonder as I look down at my wrist and discover I forgot to put my
watch on. I hate that when that happens.  I feel lost without my watch.
I look over on the dashboard to confirm the time.  We've been on the
road just ten minutes which seems more like ten hours.  "Damn, I wish I
had my watch on."  I just know I'm going to want to look at it once we
get to the hospital.  But alas, it'll only serve to remind me of each
agonizing minute that goes by to match the waiting.  How I hate the
waiting, and not knowing.  When the time comes to know, I'll look for a
place to escape so I won't have to hear words I may not want to hear.
Then I realize how alone I feel.  Just stark white walls to stare back
at me to confirm my feelings.  And I continue to wait.

Then my thoughts turn to you.  And this time I know that I have to grab
a tissue to catch the tears that are now freely flowing down my cheeks.
It only serves to remind me of what a big fool I've turned into in my
more "mature" age!   My thoughts again turn back to you.  You have given
new meaning to the word friend.  More like a family member than a
friend.  Although when that thought comes to my mind, it's quickly
replaced again with the word friend.  For you have done and given me
more than most of my relatives would even think about doing, no less
even doing it.  "Where'd you come from?" I ask myself.  "How can someone
be so selfless and expect nothing in return?  You have offered to save
my dogs life without me even asking for your help.  It came so natural
for you.  I conclude that you are an angel put on earth.  I wonder how
many people know of your generosity of heart.  I am totally caught off
guard by it.  Even the people at the emergency hospital tell me that
they don't see too many people do what you are doing.  I tell them you
are a rare gem.   "Here's my credit card number, you say.  Save your
dogs life and we shall never talk about it again," you tell me.   The
bill is just under $3,000!  Then when I think my heart couldn't be
filled with more respect for you, you finish me off with these words, "I
don't think you'll be able to take care of your dog when he gets home
because of his special needs.  Bring him to me.  I'll take care of him
for you.  This person is a walking example of what unconditional love is
all about.  She gives without looking for anything in return, and I know
that I'll never hear her say the words to me, "Remember the time that I
did this for you?"  Now I know I must be dreaming for how can one person
give so much without thinking of the sacrifice to ones self?  Afterall,
she has her own dogs and family to look after of, no less an ailing dog
of mine.

I don't know which pain is more intense.  The pain of uncertainty of not
knowing if my dog will live or the pain in my heart that is so humbled
by a rawness of what true friendship is all about.  Because of you, I am
reminded that angels walk among us and that one of them just paid me a
visit today.  I am blessed for having you in my life, but you my dear
friend are blessed far above me.   For when the judgment day comes, it
will be about what we've done on this earth to make someone else's life
that much better for them having known us.  "How'd I get so lucky to
have someone like you in my life?"   I keep shaking my head in
bewilderment.  I am totally amazed, totally grateful, and am totally in
awe.  I know you don't want to hear it, but they give out medals for
heroic deeds that our dogs have done.  No medal on this earth is reward
enough for what you've done.  You'll have to wait for your reward
hopefully a whole lot longer when you meet your maker and you sit at his
feet. You are one in a million.  For many are called, but few are
chosen..........and you my special friend shall sit among the chosen
few.  As the lyrics to the popular Beatles song goes....."Maybe I'm
amazed.....I'm amazed by you!"

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS