[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Many Shades Of sable (yay for the sable dogs)

  • From: "Rachel Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "edwinx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:33:10 -0500

Haha! THAT color is my absolute favorite sable shade. The intensity of the tan
is chestnut/brown/red, the banding of the hair shaft is incredible, the
pencilling is heavy, like a big magic marker, and all the subtle hues on his
head, etc. he's like a artist picture. His eyes are very, very dark. He's got
nice dry structure, very efficient, no waste in his movement, very late
60's/early 70's type, so he's not at all typey or "pretty", but he's FAST, he
rivals a border collie in agility and he's a tracking machine. I am working on
getting him FEMA certified.
I am breeding him to a very typey female...so, hope I get to keep all that's
good from both!!!
I got that color in my 5th litter, one pup out of 12 (many black sables, but
not red pointed)...I did not get it again until my 23 litter (this dog)!!!!
(dam of original red sable is granddam of this dog) This cross has been done 4
times, he is the only red pointed black sable out of all the pups.
His parents are dogs: #8 & #9., so yes, he's from a double sable breeding that
has produced about 50/50 blacks and black sables. He has generational depth for
sable on both sides...both parents, 3 of 4 grandparents, 5 of 8
great-grandparents.
#7 is full sister to #8.
#4 & #5 are full siblings, and aunt of #9.
#6 is a full sibling, another litter, to #2 & #3.
Black dogs #18 & #19 are full siblings to #2 & #3.
Bi-color dog #22 is Big Daddy who started it all! He was bred to a black sable
female, Emmy. They never produced black, but did produce bi-color. Emmy was
bred to a bi-color son of his from a black and tan female (who's sire was
black) and the son and Emmy produced #9 female. They also produced 4 black, 1
grey.

I hope you get what you want!
Rach & the sables