[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Manhattan KS BSL

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:29:52 EDT

Greater Kansas City Dog Training Club is very active in the greater Kansas
City area with monitoring and coordinating responses to BSL and MSN
legislation.
 Kim Krohn and her husband are Staffordshire BT and Mini-Bull owners as well
as trainers, but fight equally hard to protect any breed.  She sends info to
the training club members, (of which I am one) and then we work with our own
breed people to supplement her tireless letter writing, phone calling,
appearances, etc.  I know Lew Bunch was actively involved in communicating with
the
"powers that be" in Manhattan and explaining why this wasn't a good idea for
the
German Shepherd in particular and other breeds in general.
Good news was just received from her and permission to cross post has been
received:

**Permission to cross post and forward granted**

I'm pleased to report that Manhattan, KS voted 5-0 to institute a leash law
and stronger penalties for dogs at large. They decided against BSL. I didn't
attend the meeting because I had class but Anthony Barnett, a Lawrence resident
and member of KC Dog Advocates spoke, as did Midge Grinstead, the Director of
the Lawrence, KS Humane Society. (Lawrence is fairly close to Manhattan and
Midge is one of the few people who has tracked numbers and demonstrated that
enforcing the leash law and a DDO considerably reduces bites and attacks.
Lawrence has the largest shelter in the state of Kansas)

I'd like to thank Anthony and all those who attended. My GSD friend and
Manhattan resident, Cheryl May, truly appreciated everyone's efforts.

Kim Krohn
GKCDTC Canine Legislative Liaison to the AKC
EBA
MoFed

Betty Johnson
Tintagel