[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Malinois/GSD mix bites

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx" <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:26:03 -0500

Thank you Ruth!
You are able to put into words what I am not. Many imports are young adult dogs
right at 2 years of age if they're purchased with a koerklasse number and
working at at least an IPO 2 level. Again just MHO, but it appears its become
big business for Germany in the export of the 2-3 year old dogs they don't want
themselves. Unfortunately there are people who are willing to spend the big
money to basically stroke their ego by having a titles/cleared dog that the
hardest work they put into it was signing the check to pay for the dog....
Where else better to get rid of the washouts but far far far away?!?   It seems
the best quality imports I see are from people who travel to get a puppy, then
next best is one who traveled to get an adult dog, or has someone they trust as
an intermediary.
The ppl (including police departments) who are looking for the pre-trained dog
are easy prey for getting rid of inferior dogs for the most part.
More departments should go from owning their k9 dogs to having a lease program.
For those not familiar with sheriff/local departments' leasing dogs (which I
never knew about until a handler came to me for a puppy (a male and of course a
sable LOL), is the team has to apply and test for the position then is leased
by the year. Basically pays a wage, feed veterinary care etc. each year the dog
is evaluated before being re-leased for another year. It is the owner/handler's
responsibility to raise & train the dog rather than a crash course push em out
the door training facility... Ask any K9 handler which dog they'd rather put
their lives in the trust of: their own dog they raised and trained and love and
gets loved in return or one who lives in a kennel  the other 16 hours a day and
likes you because you spend time together and you're his play buddy and
associates you with freedom. Not saying all dogs stay that way with their
handlers but you bet that's what it starts as meeting a 2-3 year old dog you've
never worked with, and who has a relationship with another handler/handler's
training style (within any method) who may or may not be around to break YOU
into the dog.
The department saves substantial money since they don't have to maintain kennel
facilities- the dogs go home with their handler/ owner every day, and get
reimbursed for training classes/time instead of having a staff.
I think that's a win-win for everyone, and I think it would help in a little
more discrimination when choosing dogs since its by handler applicant anyhow.
Thanks for listening-

JP&P

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/ ProudK911
www.jaydeesphs.com
AKC Breeder of Merit
Home of the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!