[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Making sure I understand this...HOW THE WHITE GENE WORKS

  • From: angela scott <adonispersian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx" <arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, The list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 14:35:17 -0500

The white gene on the German shepherd is "exactly" the same as white in
cats....when you have a white cat---underneath the white is another color...it
is carrying a Aa, AA, or as...and the white gene, which in itself only needs
one gene to express itself. So lets say you bred a white that underneath was a
dilute--blue as and you bred it to a Dominant heterozygous black....Aa....you
would get 50% heterozygous black and dilute homozygous blue and white
too....but under that white you would have a probability of the 50/50 of the
original color combinations...
So let me go with GSD COLORS...you have a black and tan bred to a white that
MASKS black and red....so you would get the combinations of black to tan and
reds combinations and then under the whites you have their true breeding
color....as with White Persians (I am familiar with this and I bred whites) you
would have to breed to a solid or bi color to improve boning, face structure,
or nose placement....I have a feeling that is why the white GSD breed to a
regular color GSD to improve something they lack....WHAT EVER it is....
I have gotten pretty good at guessing what my whites mask...as most white
shepherd breeders should.  My last breeding male was a GRC cream and white male
who had NO WHITE in his background. With my girls he threw almost 3/4
white....with cream, tortoiseshell( the queen masked) combinations....
The off colors of the noses are due to the dilutes one or both dogs carry. That
is also why the other colors come up I am guessing.
This is how masking white works....Angela Scott
Angela Scott