[ SHOWGSD-L ] Make it STOP!! (long)

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:07:33 EDT

For the last week and a half I have listened to people BICKER about a
magazine.  A magazine for crying out loud!  The Review is a GREAT thing, we can
agree
on that, and Gail Sprock was a GREAT editor while she was well, we can agree
on that.  Susan Casey is now a GREAT editor, I think we can agree on that.
But we can't agree on anything else.  It's disheartening and sickening.

I don't remember when I joined this list.  I do know I've been on it for over
a year, probably going on two.  I've been a member of the breed for 7 years
now, and in the general dog fancy for 4.  I have learned a lot of great things
on this list, but I've seen a lot more fighting than comaraderie round here.
Also disheartening.

Our breed is the greatest breed in the world, but quite frankly, we probably
have the most divided breed in the entire dog fancy.  Their are divisions in
the breed, and amongst the people.  We own a breed that is so fiercely loyal no
other dog can compare to it.  We own a breed so versatile, as many times as
SAR, narcotics, and Patrol dog groups try, they always come back to using the
GSD as their dog of choice, because no other breed is as versatile as they.

Our breed can track, protect, detect drugs, search and rescue people, be
therapy dogs, guide dogs, hearing dogs.  No other breed has this versatility,
ours
does.  But the people....I love the majority of you guys, but I have seen so
much disloyalty, backstabbing, badmouthing, mudslinging CRAP it is no wonder
that people don't have an interest in our breed or our sport.

The working line people think the showlines are weak nerved and too refined,
bred only for gait, and their character is lacking.  The Am Line people think
the German dogs are coarse, too drivey, and have sh*tty movement.  The West
German people think their dog is the perfect medium, because it passes
schutzhund requirements, but isn't so high drive it can't live in an average
family
home, and isn't so low drive it just wants to sit on a couch.

The pet people think the show dog people are snobs, the performance people
think the pet people don't know anything, and son on and so forth. The
specialty
people think less of the all breed people because the all breed judges "don't
understand GSD movement".  Malarkey!  It drives me absolutely insane.

In order for a person to be heard, they have to join the GSDCA.  In order to
be taken seriously, they must join the GSDCA.  In order to have any imprint on
the breed and "get in" with other breeders, they must join the GSDCA.

That's not true you say?  That sure is the message I got!  I was specifically
told I wouldn't be heard til I joined.  Well, I joined.  Been 11 months, I
still don't have my membership card.  Luckily, Kathy Tank and Dania Karloff
were
kind enough to help me on this matter and it's getting resolved.  Thank you
to both of you!

I'm more than willing to help ANYBODY around with puppy socializing and
whelping anytime.  I WANT TO LEARN!  I want to be able to travel places with
other
Shepherd people here in WI, and go to shows.  I want to be able to have
opinions without being considered stupid or novice, simply because I don't
agree
with somebody elses assessment of a dog.

I'm HAPPY to help hold dogs at a show or take a dog back in for somebody if
they need an extra hand.  I'm HAPPY to simply help another exhibitor exercise
and potty their dogs when they need help.  I am HAPPY to write in a catalog for
an exhibitor that is trying to watch and hold dogs at the same time.  I am
HAPPY just to be around dogs!

A friend of mine up in Canada shows dogs.  Her breed is Shepherds.  Not once,
but twice, she's been ousted last minute as a handler for a professional.
So, guess what?  She is now refusing to show another Shepherd until she gets
her
own.  She loves the GSD, but not the GSD people.  She stated that the
majority are snarky, backstabbing jerks.  She's going to find somebody she
really
trusts for her next GSD and will purchase a puppy from them, but she will not
show Shepherds for anybody else.

Our breed is lacking in juniors.  Our breed is a hard breed to show, yes, but
that's not the only reason.  I've asked more than one junior why they don't
want to show a Shepherd.  The answer is rarely because they're a hard breed to
show....juniors love them because they're flashy and require skill to handle,
which they could show off.  They say that at one point or another they tried,
but got nowhere.

Our sport is shrinking.  The fancy of dogs is becoming less and less a hobby
and more a job because people can't find majors, or because they have an "all
breed" dog instead of a "specialty" dog.

If people would spend less of their time being insulted every time somebody
disagreed with them and more time listening to the other side, they might still
disagree, but at least they'd be enlightened!  People do NOT like being
treated as if they're ignorant just because they don't see how something one
as beneficial they view as detrimental!  Nobody gives anybody any credit of
intelligence!

A judge doesn't pick your dog "They don't know anything about breed type or
movement!"  Heaven forbid the judge just doesn't like your dog.  So many people
leave the ring angry saying "How could they put up that sh*t dog.  Couldn't
move for crap."  Movement is important, but it's not the be all end all,
especially if the dog isn't even doing any herding.

I love this breed with such a passion, sometimes I'm moved to tears just by
watching my boys in the yard.  Are they breed champions? No.  Are they Siegers,
or V/VA rated?  No.  Are they national obedience competitors?  No.  But what
they ARE are two of the hardest working, friendy, family loving Shepherds I
have ever met, and they are a credit to their breed.

It's not John Q Public that makes our breed look bad.  It's us, with our
crappy behavior towards others, and our "this line sucks, that line rocks", and
our "They don't know anything, rather than educate them, let's just bash them!"

For crying out loud, MAKE IT STOP!

 - Jackie