[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Majors/not showing dogs

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, Show List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:36:35 -0700 (PDT)

Agreed, do what you can with what you have.  Spot showing is better than no
showing at all, it is supporting when and where you can win or lose.  As for
owner handling, I can't any more either, knees, back, energy, not happening,
and I was looking forward to being a pick handler at the shows I could get to
too!  But alas, I look for kids when I can, and I will suffer when I have to to
keep my dogs from getting noticed until I want them to be noticed.  I am very
picky about how my dogs look and who sees them.  Now that I have some of my own
breeding I have not just patience, but I want to keep this hand close to my
vest.   These pups are growing very unevenly, for themselves and for each
other, and yet I see that they will all 3 be worth finishing, 2 in all breed
and one in specialty.  But if you ask me to show them right now and expect to
win, right now! I will sell them all as pets.

  The one I just got back is going to be very much her mother's daughter.  She
will be strong and elegant, balanced and clean.  But right now she is none of
those things.  So very few people will get to see her at all, and even fewer
will see her move.

  But around 18 to 24 months they will all look nice.  And around 3 years they
will all look spectular.  That is right about when my younger son will be
driving, if I let him, and when he is a senior in high school and hopefully
will be able to manage his life a little better than he does now so I can
concentrate on my dogs more.

  In the meantime, I will show where and when I can and no more.  My friends
all know I care and that I want to be there.  They all also know what is on my
plate and how I feel about how my dogs look.

  In the meantime you all had better have fun first and worry about wins second!
  sheila
Penny & Bill <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Because of bad knees, old age (LOL), etc., I have handlers showing my dogs. I
like to get them out for training when they're young. Two of them are out there
now. My sable Bailey son,Jude, was a year old in June and will come home in 2
weeks, knowing what he has to know. He will have been shown a few times by
then--in fact, 4 times by the end of next weekend. Next Spring I'll get
serious, but we will "spot" show him to the right judges this winter. Jeddie,
my black one, will be going to the National--she was 2 in June and is
impeccably trained. We'll probably "spot" show her this winter as well, due to
her color.
Forest was a different story: I bought her last year at this time, when she was
5--thanks Em and Frank! We showed her a little in the winter and she finished
quickly this summer--she was already very well trained when we got her.
I guess showing the young ones depends on the amount of money one has to spend
and the patience one has to have. LONG ago (the 80s) Gene Heintz handled my
black puppy Obie to points from the 6-9 class. I got the FEVER, spent a lot of
money, even when he went through an awkward stage. In my old age, I am more
patient!
Penny in NY
POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of GSDC of Greater Miami
Member GSDCA Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

starting at 1¢/min.