[ SHOWGSD-L ] Maine's rabies law change...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:14:40 -0500

>The official word from the Co-Chair of the Committee, Representative
>Wendy Pieh, was:  "Your testimony plus the followup that we have all
received has
>made the decision that the rabies vaccination time will NOT be
changed."
I was at that hearing as well and actually, both Senator Nutting and
Rep Pieh, co-chairs of the committee, were clearly annoyed at the volume
of e-mail's they received from Kris Christine's minions.  Senator
Nutting said he was almost tempted to vote for the change from 6 to 3
months in retaliation for the flood of e-mails.   We need to be careful
not to overwhelm and annoy committee members who are already supportive
of our position.  Kris almost did that.

Other items of note from that meeting - we are close to getting the
definition of breeder changed in this state and striking the language
that made all of us "pet dealers.".  A task group has been formed to
work on a puppy mill bill and the Federation of Maine Dog Clubs is
represented on that group as well as Ken Marden of the AKC Board of
Directors (who lives in Maine not far from the capital).  The committee
is sympathetic to awarding a seat for the FMDC on the animal welfare
department's advisory committee (a first!).  So, we seem to be making
some progress in Maine...

Laurie Pruett