[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Maine's proposed breeding law

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:37:22 -0500

    I know people don't believe it any more now than they did when all this
business first started...What business? you ask?  OK, I'll tell you...the
business
of the government taking over our right to choose...anything.  Whether or
not to have an abortion, whether or not to smoke, whether or not caucasian
girls
could wear their hair in corn rows, whether gays can get married, whether
you can keep 7 dogs or only 3, and whether or not you will be allowed to
breed those dogs, whether you will be allowed to drive without putting on
your seatbelt, and more...right down to vaccinating preteen girls so they
don't develop a particular type of cancer (MAYBE).   We, as a people, have
always sorted ourselves into us v. them groups...the non-smokers think no
one should smoke, the homophobes think gays shouldn't be allowed to marry
(or worse), someone somewhere decided that very few communities could handle
having residents own more than
3 dogs, etc. etc. etc.
        And, you can't say that none of these things are related...they are
all related.  The government quite obviously considers the citizens of the
country incapable of making sensible decisions...I always wonder why they
bother to let us vote at all, since we are, apparently, unable to care for
ourselves in any other respect.
        So, you were in favor of banning smoking.  You may not have liked
seeing Joe Blow's little blonde secretary come to work with corn rows in her
hair.
You may have an ongoing battle with your lesbian or gay neighbors.  You may
complain that seatbelts all hit you in just the wrong spot, and therefore,
you refuse to wear one.  Well, you should have fought for our rights to make
all these decisions ourselves...this business of telling us how many animals
we can own and how we have to keep them, and then how often we can breed
them, is probably the next to last frontier.  The last one will be when the
stridently vocal and not at all shy vegans get the government to ban meat
and dairy products........(not that there'll be anything else to eat when
the free-roaming cows and pigs and horses and goats have eaten every growing
thing)........and then, it will be too late.  It's almost too late now.  And
we STILL have people who don't get it........they don't smoke,
so who cares if smoking is forbidden.  They don't like pitbulls, so MSN is
OK, and any restrictions on how a breeder has to house and care for animals
is OK...
it won't affect THEM!!      Like working in the Pentagon, where, if a woman
is hired to work in an office in the innermost ring, (at least in my day),
she was not allowed to wear slacks...EVER...including on the rare snow
days.........skirts were OD.  Every day.  She had a choice, of
course...don't take that job!  The rest of this stuff is proof that our
choices are being taken away.
some of those things aren't already with us...and for the final answer, read
Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand and published in 1957.  We should have learned,
or at least listened........we didn't, and we're now paying the
price.    No, I'm not exaggerating.  While the points these writers were
making had nothing to do with dogs and overall had other goals, we're still
seeing these things happen.........and we are still divided into "us and
them" and we are the losers for it.
Peggy