[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Made in China

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:56:08 -0500

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:14:31 -0500, "Arcturus"
<Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Yeah, and they want to require the Amish toymakers to have
>thier wooden products tested and certified against lead content.

Oh honey... it's not just the Amish. It's ALL of us,
including little ol'grannies who knit baby sweaters or
afghans and all the good people on Etsy who hand make toys
and other items to supplement their incomes. We're talking
about things like yarn, wool and cotton fabrics, wooden
boards or pieces and other items that have NEVER contained
lead or phthalates. It will soon be mandatory for each
crafter or craftsman to submit a piece of everything they
make (each color of each piece of fabric or skein of yarn,
for example) to an independent lab for very expensive
testing and analysis IF those products are intended for
children 12 years of age and under. (I guess if you are a
dog or someone over the age of 12, you can just die for
all the gubment cares!)

Go Google CPSIA for more info. Or go here for a quick
overview:

http://www.change.org/ideas/view/save_handmade_toys_from_the_cpsia
http://sites.google.com/site/handmadetoyalliance/

As I said and as Arcturus stated, many in the handmade
communities, the very same people who make REALLY GOOD
quality stuff, are extremely concerned. Most will probably
end up going out of business because they will be unable
to sell or even transfer (i.e., give away) any non-tested
items. That means no Ebay or garage sales either! This law
could make potential criminals out of many or all of us.

Like so many things in our time (can we mention the
asinine new rule about public pool drains!), this is
legislation with the best of intentions - that being
protecting young children from dangerous substances -
that has gone terribly wrong and has the potential to do
great economic harm to many innocent ordinary citizens if
it is not amended and made right in the next 29 days.  :(

Think about how it be when you can no longer buy any
lovely handmade toys or items of clothing for your young
children? Or make them yourself to give as presents?? How
soon until you can't buy them for ANYONE - dogs included??

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx