[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mac the cereal killer (raisin toxicity)

  • From: TRennie100@xxxxxxx
  • To: arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:16:18 EDT

Hi Gayle

I live next door to thousands of acres of table grapes.. When tooling  around
on my quad, I have seen coyote poop (or wild dog poop) with LOTS of  raisins
in it! I never did find any dead dogs or dead coyotes tho....

Maybe the coyotes here have a resistance to eating them or something? I do
not let my dogs near them during grape season or harvest......

I used to rinse a bunch off, put them in the freezer and eat them like
little popsicles.. I would occasionally give a few to my dogs... But never a
whole
box!

Wow! I am so grateful that you were able to save your poor dog! Wow.. You
were lucky only spending $168.

Back in around 2000, my ex sis in law sent me down some Rimydal  (sp?)  for a
pup I had that had pano real bad. My ex sis in law put the liver  flavored
pills in a plastic bag. Her hubby came here unexpectedly and left the  20 pills
on my butcher block..I was not here. I came home later on and noticed  an
empty zip lock bag on the floor with the bottom torn out. I asked my ex who
had
been here and what was going on. He told me about the Rimydal (sp?) and when  I
realized what had happened to it with FIVE of my dogs in the house at the
time, I let out a scream and ran for the computer to call the poison hot  line.

M vet is far away and it was late at nite. The poison hot line  people said
to pour peroxide down all 5 throats and make  them heave. Etc Etc. I am
grateful for tile floors and a Rainbow Vacuum...

To make a long story short.. Those 20 pills ended up costing me over  $10,000
to save my dog after she nearly died from aspiration pneumonia. NOT the
pills, which by the way, can be deadly if that many are eaten at once by a dog
or
two)

This is what happened.

My now 10 year old Mindy, heaved so hard that she somehow sucked the some  of
the vomit back in to her lungs. My three vets checked ALL but her lungs til
she was nearly dead. Had she been vomiting? Well, no, the only time was with
the  peroxide) One vet finally exrayed her lungs and they were 3/4 full and she
 was not long for this earth.  Another vet there gave her accupucture  to
help her to the trip to San Diego to a referral vet. I made it there
hysterically in 2 hours.. They carefully put her under, and vacuumed  out her
lungs the
best they could. One lung was just slightly damaged.  I spent a year and
hundreds of dollars on drugs, and monthly trips for  ex rays of her lungs. The
pills
she took were human pills and nearly  bankrupted me for that entire year.

The story was put in the review in hopes of helping others... I am in hopes
you do the same for those that might not be on SHOWGSD.....I even received
thank  you notes from people who read the story!

A friend in shepherds

Teona

deal here.