[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: MYCOPLASMA, AGAIN

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:59:33 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Grainger
To: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
Sent: 12/27/2004 1:56:05 PM
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: MYCOPLASMA, AGAIN

Dawnmarie..I don't know if you have a medical background or not... I am
thinking you must not..or you would get what I was saying. first there is only
one dog STD that i know of..Brucellosis..everything else is not an STD..so
equating this to HIV is not reasonable. A cold is a virus..rhinovirus...it is
not a bacteria..you contract the virus from someone else..it is not treatable
with an antibiotic...a micro-organism such as mycoplsama is treatable with an
antibiotic..ie doxycycline..you don't catch it like a cold..or an STD...it is
there..under your fingernails..in the dirt..It is opportunistic...waiting for
the victim to become immno-suppresed..so that it can grow and flourish..I will
use mold as an elementary example...mold only grows where the climate and
conditions are right..you get the picture. people who have HIV or AIDS are
immno suppressed...yeast grows in their mouths...they have sores on their
bodies, they more readily get pneumonia...they don't die of AIDS..they d
 ie from all the other micro-organisms that have taken over their bodies and
are running rampant. Do you think that AIDS is the only immno-suppression
illness? You can add diabetes, cancer, Lupus, anyone taking corticosteroids for
extensive periods of time, hepB maybe C, anyone taking cyclosporin such as
transplant patients, premature infants,the elderly,and those under stress and
that have anxiety..the list goes on and on. As for dogs...we have auto-immune
issues in some bloodlines...generally it doesn't show until the dog is
older..so the dog could potentially pass along the gene for it well before the
owner knows he/she has it. It manifests itself in many ways..the bad cases do
show up early..other cases are rather benign...but the presence of mycoplasma,
pseudomonas aregenosa, pastruella, strep(i think gram-positive) in large
numbers coupled with the failure to conceive should be a red flag that
something more serious COULD be lurking..ie cancer, or some form of auto-immu
 ne..I have seen many cases were bad cultures were indicative of underlying
problem...it happened in my own bitch..she was always fertile...but her last
culture came back with Pseudo. agrenosa..always her cultures had been
normal..we AI'ed her...she had one dead puppy...she never conceived again..and
within 2 years she died of cancer..in my opinion..the bad culture..the dead
puppy...were all warning signs that something was going on that I couldn't
see...so you can either ignore the signs..learn from the signs..be in
denial..or whatever...but this is the cliff notes version of what i am trying
to explain. C.Grainger