[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: MYCOPLASMA, AGAIN

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:56:44 -0800

> We have never tested for mycoplasma..and probably won't..I am confused..why
> does everyone one act like this is something new?   Mycoplasma has been
> around since the beginning of dirt..just like some of the other bacteria
> Cyndi flautt mentioned...we should question why we need to test for
> it..other breeds don't...so why do some dogs contract it in others
> not..could it be that we are in denial about auto-immune issues?
                       **************************
You're right......it has been around since before dirt along with many types of
normal bacterial within the vaginal tract.   What you need to be concerned
about is the "abnormal" growth of ANY of them.
MANY years ago we had a proven bitch bred to a stud that infected her and about
20 other bitches with mycoplasma.   Co owner treated her extensively when we
found out.   Never could get another litter from her.  It not an auto immune
problem.
Many reasons cause it to suddently grow out of control, and often some of the
reasons IS missuse of antibiotics, stress, constant exposure, etc.  It's very
contagious.

After> all..mycoplasma like some of the other bacteria are opportunistic...the
> immune system has to be compromised for it to flourish..so the question
> would be in my mind..why is it flourishing and why only in some dogs?
> C.Grainger
Some do manage to "dodge the bullet"  by not having a dog bred to theirs....or
kenneled with theirs that has it.   It's just that simple.   Many bitch owners
have
been stunned to discover they do have a bitch with a high level infection and
some have been maiden bitches.
During the tie the stud is "exposed" to the extreme,  the abnormal bacteria is
deeply embedded deep within the dog.......he does not have the usual natural
cleansing that the bitch has, but just the opposite......and is more likely to
be
rendered sterile than the bitch from exposure to some of these abnormal
bacterial growths....and some can even travel to the kidneys because it can
become
so deeply embedded.....  plus a stud that is used a lot can be exposed over and
over.
Other Breeds DO test for it!!   We work with I.C.S.B. who are also Bull Dog
Breeders.
They don't even want to handle an A.I. or an implant if the bitch has
mycoplasma,
and don't see any reason to bother with either,  with a bitch with MP as the
bitch
won't conceive or whelp a healthy litter anyway.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com