[ SHOWGSD-L ] MORE.........

  • From: Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:34:49 EDT

"I don't believe Levine in now not willing to talk to and work  with the
other side, he's gone on record in the Senate committee and on TV  saying that
he
is willing, attacking him personally and calling him names serves  no purpose
at all...anything that can be learned can be unlearned...we've all  heard the
expression that you must fight "fire with fire".....the best way   to fight
fire is with water...Ed Hill"
With a lot of my  friends we are willing to help provide the water.  We will
be at the ready  when you give the order to unzip.  In the meantime we will
consume lots of  liquids.

Seriously, the people that are behind these movements are  as dedicated to
universal castration (and for some of them it may not be limited  to dogs and
cats) as was Mohammed Atta to blowing up the twin towers.  Many  years ago
(maybe 25) a group of them (all ladies) was proposing a spay neuter  ordinance
in
Orange County.  Representing Santa Ana Valley Kennel Club, the  late Vern
Johnson and I together with other fanciers met with them and met with  them and
met
with them.  We tried to explain that there were many puppies  being imported
into the state from Midwest puppy mills to the pet stores that  this action
would not touch and that it would have zero impact on shelter  populations.
They had already accepted spay neuter as their holy writ and  were not even
interested in visiting the pet stores with us and were unmoved by  our stories
of
the inhumane conditions in which pet store puppies were raised  and kept in the
pet stores.  Eventually they gave up because the Board of  Supervisors was
dominated by Supervisor Diedrich (known as "Super D") who  frequently had
trouble with animal control when his dogs got out.  They  could not find a
sponsor
for their proposed ordinance.

But the movement  has not faded away as evidenced by the fact that Judy
Mancuso is from Orange  County.

I hesitate to add this because it will cause me to be labeled a  particular
kind of pig.  However, these ladies were, in large measure,  women without men,
or young children, or women whose husbands were less than  inattentive.  Don
Arner, who had published the training magazine "Off Lead"  lived here at that
time representing a dog food company and he met with our  group.  He made an
effort to pour water on their fire by inviting them to a  dinner.  When the
menus were passed out and he learned that they were all  vegans, he knew that
selecting a steak house as a place to entertain them was  not a really good
idea.

These ladies were absolutely sincere and  dedicated, and were immune to any
form of compromise.  A number of them  personally rescued dogs and a few later
got into trouble by having too many dogs  which they had rescued, placing
themselves over the legal limit in their  residential areas.

Our new next door neighbor is a young single  lady who has two dogs she
rescued from shelters.  She is a dedicated  adherent to AB1634.  I tried to
discuss
our side with her and her eyes  glazed over.  I took 12 year old Pepper out
front to meet the neighbor and  she loved him.  When I mentioned to Pepper that
she wanted to castrate him,  she appeared not to hear.

Levine's line all along has been that he  reaches out to our side but we will
not cooperate.  I believe this is just  a cover story and that he believes
that castration and hysterectomy is the only  solution.  He has so much of his
reputation invested in this idea that for  him to make a more reasonable
approach would tarnish his ego and infuriate the  most dedicated of his
adherents.
It is seldom a winning proposition  to try to negotiate with your hangman.

Tom Brown