[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ME<> Rules Change..proposed LowIncome s/n program banned to...

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, show gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:49:32 -0700

Thanks.
We both got the same idea... that those who buy pups from breeders
probably (PROBABLY!) could afford to have them sterilized.  However,
it's the discrimination and Ms. Worley ........  well, Ms. Worley.  WE
have several of her stripe in the greater  L.A. area.

Storm

On Oct 6, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........this sounds horrible when you first read it so I
googled to see who was eligible now.  Here's what I found:

Maine

  HELP! FIX ME - Maine's Low Cost Spay/Neuter Program

1-800-367-1317 or (207) 287-7621

If you receive, or are eligible for, one of the following programs:

Food Stamps

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Social Security Disability (SSD)

Maine Care (Medicaid)

You can have your cat fixed for $10.00, or your dog fixed for $20.00.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and I found this:

New Income Tax Form Check Off!

Make a voluntary contribution to Maine's Companion Animal
Sterilization Fund on your income tax return.

Tell your cat and dog-loving friends about Maine's new Tax Form Check
Off.

On your Maine State Tax Form, check the box called The Companion
Animal Sterilization Fund.

The fund will be used to save lives by...

spaying/neutering cats and dogs
preventing unwanted litters
lowering shelter intakes
lowering shelter euthanasias
reducing the number of feral cats
reducing dog bites
For more information, call HELP FIX ME! now 1-800-367-1317 or (207)
287-7621

So although I disagree w/ the premise of discrimination re where a
person obtained their dog to decide if it was eligible for the program
above, it would be unlikely that folks who are eligible for most of
the above programs are "buying" pets in the first place...maybe they
adopt.  Or maybe someone eligible for disability buys a dog...I've
sold companion puppies to people w/ disabilities over the years and
they paid for the dog's vet care.

The thing that stood out to me was "Food Stamps".  I heard today that
1 in 8 Americans are now on Food Stamps.  Mind boggling.

Note to self...REALLY keep in touch w/ puppy people.

And yes Stormy, I'll send e-mails.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 10/6/2010 8:57:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  writes:
Please share this with anyone you may know in Maine:
DEADLINE October 8, 2010. Norma Worley, director of Maine's Animal
Welfare Department, with the support of Maine's director of the
controversial Humane Society of United States, is proposing a "rules
change" to Maine's Low Income Spay-Neuter Program. The proposed
changes include a provision that no dog or cat purchased from a
breeder would ever be eligible for the program. Worley and HSUS claim
these changes are "minor and technical" without the requirement of a
public hearing. The Federation of Maine Dog Clubs & Responsible Dog
Owners disagrees and feels these changes are "major and substantive"
and warrant a public hearing about a very important state program. A
minimum of five registered Maine voters are needed to petition for a
public hearing by October 8, 2010.

PLEASE SEND JUST ONE EMAIL WITH CC'S TO THE FOLLOWING INDIVIDUALS AND
RESPECTFULLY REQUEST A PUBLIC HEARING ON THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE:

<Norma.J.Worley@xxxxxxxxx >
<Ned.R.Porter@xxxxxxxxx>
Representative Jeff Gifford <jeffery.gifford@xxxxxxxxx>
Representative Jeff McCabe <jeffmccabe4me@xxxxxxxxx>
Representative Leila Percy <leilapercy@xxxxxxxxx>
Representative Peter Edgecomb <pedgecom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Representative Kent <pskentz5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Representative Smith <n4smiths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Senator Roger Sherman <rsherm_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Representative Dean Cray <dacray@xxxxxxx>

Please let us know when you've sent your email. THANK YOU!

Jay Kitchener, Secretary
Federation of Maine Dog Clubs & Responsible Dog Owners