[ SHOWGSD-L ] MA:Animal bill passes senate

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 15:44:02 -0800

MA:Animal bill passes senate

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091029/PUB01/910290360

Animal bill passes senate
October 29, 2009 11:35 AM
BOSTON ? A bill filed by Senator Mark Montigny (D-New Bedford) has
passed the Massachusetts Senate after being attached to a piece of
legislation filed by Senator Patricia Jehlen (D-Somerville).

The bill would create a statewide spay and neuter program, improve
mandatory spay and neuter laws for shelters, and reduce the number of
homeless animals and costs associated with providing such animals care.

"For anyone who loves animals as much as I do, this day couldn't come
soon enough," said Senator Montigny, a longtime animal rights
advocate. "Our pets become members of our immediate families and we
should ensure that they are treated appropriately. This bill will
curtail the number of homeless animals, reduce the financial burden on
municipalities, but most importantly ensure that animals in
Massachusetts are treated humanely."

"This is such an important step towards protecting the rights of
animals," said a spokesperson for the Animal Advocates Spay/Neuter
Assistance Program of Dartmouth. "Every day we deal with stray and
feral animals, and it's heartbreaking that there aren't always enough
spay and neuter resources to get them the help they deserve. This
legislation is going to change things for the better in Massachusetts."

A voluntary check-off-box would be added to the state income tax form
to generate money for the "Homeless Animal Prevention and Care Fund."

Other provisions in the bill would address dangerous dog laws, create
consistency in holding times for strays, and prohibit certain methods
of euthanasia for dogs and cats.