[ SHOWGSD-L ] Lucas...just when I thought I had seen the worst...

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 06:17:12 -0800 (PST)

Around dinner last night I received a call from Krista Hansen of A Shelter
Friend (501c3 Rescue in NC). (I have just written and erased the next sentence
4 times)...I really do not know how to explain what she told me.
A GSD was picked up by animal control...too weak to walk, he was brought in on
a sling.
Through the fur they could see some wounds; apparently bite marks or possibly
shotgun pellets...they were not sure. Krista immediately got him into Dr.
Gensels where the vet techs began the task of shaving him to uncover his
wounds. What they found was the stuff of nightmares. This sweet sweet
dog...offering kisses to everyone even tho he was in enormous pain...had
decubitus ulcers measuring 6 to 8 inches across..large patches of flesh were
missing under the fur. He had obviously been tied somewhere, judging by the
marks on his neck; his fur had been singed and he was covered in soot. He
weighs 47 pounds and on a Vet scale of 1 to 10...from the photos...I would rate
him at a 0. How he is still alive is a testament to his spirit. What abuse he
endured we can only imagine.
LHSH was able to call in an instant donation toward his medical care. They
would like to do a quick xray to determine if there are any pellets in his
stomach as indicated by the wounds...
If you would like to help Lucas on his road to recovery, please contact us.
Pictures available..I have already sent some to a few people on this list.
WARNING...they are GRAPHIC.
The Team From Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.
Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made to:
Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx