[ SHOWGSD-L ] Lost Grandson

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:48:29 -0700

Just to let everyone know, we lost our grandson.
13 weeks ago we put him on a plane to San Diego and Thursday we went to pick
him up. He was gone. Missing. Probably will never be found again.

You see, he was a good kid, 18 years old and had just graduated from high
school. He was much like most average kids that age, his room was a mess,
his clothes were a bit sloppy and he spoke in weird, cryptic sentences at a
volume you could hardly hear. He was at times in a world of his own, not
looking at you when you talked to him, not intentionally impolite, just
preoccupied I suppose. He avoided household chores as most do and spent most
of his time hanging out with his friends. We were good buddies, but we were
not on the same planet at times. I loved him and he loved me, but my world
was not very focused for him and not all that important.

Yesterday, when we were to pick him up, we found a sort of clone. He looked
sort of like Johnny, and had some of the same vocal intonations, but that is
were the similarities stopped. This young man had a clean haircut, freshly
pressed pants and shirt. For 13 weeks he had been making his bed, washing
his own clothes, getting up and 5 A.M. and going to bed promptly at 9 P.M.
His room was spotless, his speech clear, loud enough to hear and he spoke
fluent English. He looked me in the eye as he spoke to me and shook my hand
vigorously when we met and parted. I was addressed as Sir, as was every
other male in sight. Women were addressed as Maim.

He was able to express his values about life and his commitment to service.
He stood much taller than when he left us and talked more clearly. He left a
teenager uncertain of life and the future. He was returned to us with a
sense of respect, dignity and confidence that I wish all young men could
have.

Yes, we lost Johnny, but we found PFC John A Fritsche USMC - Squad Leader
and graduate of the Marine Corps Recruit Training Depot.

Dog related.......?
Yes! I stood there with tears running down my cheeks, knowing that the
challenge he accepted and the work that he did has set him above the average
teen in our land and forever marked him as a man and a leader. He needed to
be challenged, to have the bar raised to his furthest grasp, the be
motivated to be the best he could be.

So also with our dogs. They need a job, a task, and the training that makes
them reach beyond the norm to be what they can be. They have such great
skills and intellect and such a strong desire to serve. I need to do more
with my dogs and not allow them to just set and vegetate....

I am truly proud of my grandson... Now to work on the dogs!
Dave