[ SHOWGSD-L ] : Lost Dog in North Carolina

  • From: "Mo Murkland" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:32:17 -0600

Yet another pup has entered my life and for some reason I know she will stay.
"My Girl" as I have now come to call her was seen two weeks ago in a corn field
near the equestrian facility where I work. She had hauled a deer carcass  so as
not to starve, from the road to her little "home" in the middle of a barren
hell. No shelter from the cold (dipped below 25) on several nights, no
protection from the rain (been some hellacious storms) The only water she had
was the slimejuice as the kids call it  from a nearby stagnant creek. She held
her tail between her legs with a vengengance and ran from anyone and everyone
who tried to catch her. She was a vagrant, a hobo, a trespasser and "bad dog"
in the farmers eyes. When the talk of shooting her came about I knew something
had to be done. I had only seen her from a distance but she was worth more than
to die alone in a field with nothing but her deer bones to accompany her during
her last hours or even minutes.

A few days later I got a close up. She was slinking around the barn and yells
of "coyote" filled the riding lesson arena. My eyes were glued to her. She was
no coyote but a German Shepherd. A beautiful one at that even though her coat
that clung to her ribs which were now so prominant was lacking life, mud
encrusting her legs....i knew this dog was something special. Over the next few
days I talked to her as she ran from my sight, I put wrinkled weenie treats on
the logs for her. She soon tasted a warm meal of canned food and some dry mixed
in. We noticed she wanted to be near the yellow golf cart. she paces it and now
has come to sleep next to it.I put out an SOS to get some help from GSD people.
After days of feeling apprehensive of being bit (my biggest fear in the world)
and frusteration over her not wanting to get close I prayed. I prayed God would
let her know I am a friend, a savior. Today my prayer has been answered. I
layed down in the grass near a pasture  My Girl came to within 10 feet and sat
looking at me with those sad deep brown eyes. she layed down and crawled a few
feet towards me. I reached out and she jumped and ran. I was so sad. She came
close again and I took my hand and made a plam down "lay down" gesture and said
My girl Lay down...she layed down! her huge beautiful ears layed against her
head and she looked at me with such love. I sat beside her and with no fear
(thank you Mo for teaching me to know when to fear and when not and thank you
Jerry Lee for teaching me not all big dogs are bad) I touched her head. she
winced. I winced even more. Then I stroked her back, her paws, her ears and
soon she rolled on her side for me to scratch her belly. This is when i learned
the dog i thought was a he was a she and became My Girl. It was also when I
learned she had over 20 evil cockleburrs stuck in her chest hair. so much so
there was blood and pus oozing from her. I felt a twang of fear wondering if
the pain from removing them would cause her to bite but I knew I couldnt leave
her like that.  I gently eased each burr from her body. the smell was
horrendous and I know she was hurting. But she let me remove them all and I was
even able to put some equine antibiotic gel on them. she ran so much straighter
once she decided she had spent enough time with me and bolted back to her dirt
bed.
 Over the day she would come freely to me, lick my hand and stay close by. I
attempted to place a leadrope around her neck to take her to the truck but when
she saw it her tail went between her legs and she took off crying. Not only had
she been dumped but it was apparent she has been beaten.
 Tomorrow i will bring My girl home. I think she belongs here. Maybe Jerry Lee
sent her to me as I always thank him in my heart for lesson he taught me. My
faithful dog Roxy passed severeal months ago and my heart has been empty. She
was a stray who came to our lives in much the same way.  My Girl is afraid of
the car and truck so it will be a work of the Lord to get her home. iwouldnt
get in a car or truck if I had been dumped from one either. It will take time
but she will get here, even if I have to walk the mile plus here with her in my
arms.
 This GSD has a home with me and I will send pics of her. She is amazing. I
will continue to call her My girl. Holland calls her Angel. maybe she is to be
Angel Girl?
 Mo I have decided to keep her. (as you can tell from this story) She belongs
here. She is about a year old. not much. she has her big puppy feet and well
she is just stunning. Perhaps you GSD peeps may see her and say "just a grade
dog" but she is beautiful to me.
 This girl has stolen my heart. she needs me. I need her. Hopefully she will
want to sleep next to my bed as I would like that very much. She will be here
forever.
 To everyone who put the word out about her I thank you. I havent heard
anything about another owner yet and will do whats right if one does surface.
 Just wanted to share this with y'all.

  Melissa

Yahoo! Mail