[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Loose & Easy

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx>, <michel.chaloux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:57:31 -0800

Hi Zoa...

No...the 2 behaviors are really apples and oranges. You "can" train a dog to do
the requests I mentioned. They walk into the ring...the Judge says walk...and
they walk.

Most dogs...don't respond that way and when I judge them...I always gait them a
lap or more around the ring just to take the edge offa them. When we condition
our dogs for the show ring...it does include stand...stay...but it also
includes muscular conditioning so they are capable of performing at their best
as long as it may take...while others might not be up to the same.. That
doesn't mean scrambling but having the ability to go the distance...no matter
how far the distance is. Road work is an example and when a dog is worked a
mile or 2 every other day...it takes a bit of exercise to take that edge offa
him/her.

My point is this...as a Judge...I want to see them Loose and Easy. I won't
punish a dog that charges at 1st as long as after a decent time of gaiting...it
settles into that loose and easy gait. Every dogs body has a setting that
allows it to move with effortless motion. I always ask the handler to see the
"Dog on a loose lead at the dogs best speed". The best speed is a product of
the body moving in balance with the effort. Too hard distorts that picture.

If the handler or double handlers don't allow that to happen...the dog is going
at mach speeds that don't show the body's ability to go at..."it's best speed".

Hope that heps...

Paul
  Thank you.  This is helpful.  Are you saying that the two behaviors (GO and
move on a loose lead) are mutually exclusive?