[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Looking for yorkie female puppy

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:22:19 -0500

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:44:39 -0800, Doris E
<irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>Yorkies are not the only ones. Many small dogs (chihuahuas)
>are also hard to housebreak.

A little bit of hearsay is a dangerous thing.  ;)

Dachshunds are supposedly among the hardest of all breeds
to housebreak reliably... or so I've heard. However, being
that I didn't grow up in a dog show family environment, I
guess my folks didn't get "the word" about that. My
grandparents lived with us and Pops was an avid rabbit
hunter. Our family dogs -- hunting hounds all, mostly
beagles, dachsies and crosses of those 2 breeds -- were
expected to be housebroken... PERIOD! END OF STORY!
My mother and grandmother simply wouldn't have it any
other way. It was either reliably housebroken or outside.
Pops obviously chose the former because all our family
pets were house dogs. And all were totally reliable.

Dogs don't read books, so they don't know they are
supposed to be this or that way. That's OUR problem!
It's called training!  ;)
Karen C.
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Keep an open mind; but not so open that your brains fall out!"