[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Looking for yorkie female puppy

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:51:50 -0500

My good friend, Mary Trimble, has been breeding and showing Yorkies for more
years than either of us care to remember.  Yes, quite a few have not been
housetrained...but several have been.
   I have found my Cavalier males to be impossible...but the ones I've sold
have been fine...and when they've come to visit, or in the case of one I got
back when the owner died, they were impeccaable in the house.
   I have one male, a beautiful tri Champion, who can spend the day with
me...and NEVER be out of my sight.  Yet, when it is time to put him to bed,
I will find dozens of places where he has magically soaked a spot.  No
lie...he's magic.  I had a Norwich male like that....he knew not to lift his
leg, so he'd just piddle while trotting around the house!   The Norwich is
long gone now...and Trevor isn't allowed in the house anymore.
   The Cavalier girls are a different story...they are, for the most part,
quite clean.  The one thing I've found about Cavaliers is that they do not
ask to go out (only breed I ever had like that)...they will sort of walk
past the door and give you a look..you're supposed to read their minds, I
guess.  If you are busy doing something else, the girls will come and find
you and pee right in front of you!  It's like they are telling you "see what
you made me do?"
  I thought this was unique to my own girls, but I've heard the same story
from so many Cavalier owners and breeders, I  think it's a breed trait.
   Still...I think when someone has only one dog, no matter what the breed,
it can and will learn to be clean in the house if the owner is the slightest
bit careful.  They don't like to be dirty, after all.
   Peggy