[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Looking for facts on Mega/x-raying

  • From: gsdhope@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:57:03 +0000

Sorry I'm getting in on this discussion a little late.  Just to add my
experience....many years ago I had a litter of 5 puppies.  At weaning I noticed
the "tell tale" regurgitation on two of the puppies.  I took them to the Vet
and confirmed that they had ME.   My Vet suggested we do Barium X-rays on the
other 3.  The x-rays showed that ALL 5 puppies had ME to some extent...some
worse than one of the puppies that was showing symptoms.   One of the puppies
that showed the symptoms had to be put down at 6wks of age because she was
literally starving to death.   NONE of the puppies were treated specially....no
raised feedings...no slurry, etc.   I knew that almost no one would do that for
the life of the dog, and I was determined that the puppies either live
"normally" or not at all.   All of the remaining puppies were placed in homes
that were well aware of the potential problems....most kept in touch for
several years.  As far as I know, none of the puppies had any problems re
 lated
to ME.  The other one that showed symptoms was placed with a young boy that
joined the OB club I belong to.... and is still doing well and attends training
classes after 11 years.
My question is....since 3 out of 5 puppies with ME showed no symptoms....should
we be x-raying for this as a routine?   I realize that at some point we have to
draw the line on testing...or do we?

Hope
Daystar German Shepherds

-------------- Original message from JANGSD@xxxxxxx: --------------