[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Look of Eagles"

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:37:06 -0500

Mary-Anne,

?

The Standard has it right.? I think we are all trying to define it, but you
can't.? Even my old rescue guy, who started out with a horrible life, had that
look at times.? After all he had been through, he was a GSD at heart.? He had
pride, nobility and?a presence.? He passed that on to the youngsters.? They
respected him and emulated him.? He is the reason I am in GSD's.? He overcame
so much previous abuse to become the most awesome dog.? He had the kindest eyes
and most intelligent eyes.? He was a therapy dog and trained all?my
youngsters.? He loved his visits and bonded with his patients.? He was so
gentle and sweet with them.? Yet, he took on bad guys without missing a beat.?
He would come to work with me as a mascot and caught 2 burglars during an
investigation before we could get the K9 unit deployed.? He wasn't trained?for
it, he just did it.? He was so jazzed and proud of himself.? That was a moment
with that "Look of Eagles" I will never forget.? It is so something yo
 u know when you see it.
?
Yes, it is in the eyes but it is also in the carriage and the pride of the
dog.? It's the whole package.??It's not about being a predator.? It's?about the
overall demeanor.? Other animals have this, who are not predatory,?and I would
bet the?description of their Standards?are just as vague.? It is something you
just know is there. You can see it?but not?every animal has it.??

I don't believe this is something we should TRY to define.??It is something we
should continue to strive for in our breed.? JMHO

Laura Thomas??????????