[ SHOWGSD-L ] Look at it from another side

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:19:24 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/07 10:32:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
what can  we do to slow down the rate of dogs and cats being put to  death?...

What about a complete turn around. Instead of working so hard  to limit the
dogs and cats being bred, how about we work harder to educate  people to the
joys of owning a pet?  All the statistics show us that pet  ownership is a good
health remedy, lengthens life, and reduces stress and heart  attacks. It
reduces violence in prisons, and brings peace to many.

I doubt you can ever educate those who will not take care of  their animals.
Education to the breeders isn't the problem, education to the  public is.
Dogs and cats are still brought in from out of state, and maybe  there is an
answer there.  Puppy mills would not exist were there not a  demand for the
product. If so many people want pets, why are we destroying  them?

It is a distribution problem. Much like water, there is plenty  of it in one
part of the country, and not enough in others.  Another  solution might be to
deal with this on a national basis.  Look to other  areas, and see if they
need pets to adopt, and work in that  direction.

Think outside the box. That is what is needed, not more laws  for those
people who are the problem to break.

Evan_  Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come together