[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Longcoat=Judge's question

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BJBuie@xxxxxxx, carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:20:05 -0800 (PST)

Who would put a longcoat up if it were the best thing in the ring? Just asking.
Ann
BJBuie@xxxxxxx wrote:  In a message dated 1/29/07 11:53:33 AM Central Standard
Time,
carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Well, Betty, true that a judge can withhold; however, a long
> coat is merely a fault, not even a serious fault. There have been many
> long coated dogs finish; some of our best producers have been long-
> coated bitches. Long coat is the easiest problem to eliminate, can
> be done in one generation. Now, I am not promoting long coats, but
> it is such a minor consideration, especially when this dog was the
> only dog there. Want to talk about the bitchy special male ?
> Carolyn

Hi Carolyn:

Yes, I know that longcoat is only a fault and not disqualifying, but there
were other attributes of this dog that certainly didn't inspire one. My first
leased broodbitch was a long coated Hein daughter, the mother of my Adam dog.
And yes, I remember a particularly gorgeous moving machine Champion bitch
named 'Dare Ya' in the 1970s who I would have traded nearly anything for. I was
just responded to a post that indicated the judge had to put up what they were
presented and that isn't the case and there are times when the best thing for
the breed would be to withhold.

Betty Johnson

Ann , Home of Sel Ex Ch Mechanical Bull and #1 Dam I've Got It All ROM
     Breeder-Owner of 62 Champions and 18 ROMs
 www.edangsd.com