[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Long coat question

  • From: "Paula M. Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:05:23 GMT

Simple math.  I think some of you are getting yourselves way too confused.
The long-coat gene is recessive.
The normal-coat gene is dominant.

Dianna's original question was about a stud dog free of the long-coat factor
being bred to a long-coated bitch.  ALL pups will carry one of it's dam's genes
(long-coated dogs/bitches have 2 long-coat genes) and one of it's sire's genes
(normal coat...remember, he does NOT carry long-coat factor, he has 2
normal-coat genes).  Ergo, ALL pups will carry one long-coat gene and one
normal-coat gene.

Go read some of Father Gregor Johann Mendel's works, specifically about what
has come to be referred to as Mendelian inheritance; it was valid in the
mid-1800's and still valid today.

Paula, 61 days and counting

Home of Best in Show, Best in Specialty Show, Multi-Group Winning, GSDCA Dual
Title Award Recipient, AKC JAM/AOE, International and American Champion, Grand
Champion Asgard Harley Davidson v Plamark, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC
#64047 (Hips, Elbows, Cardiac, & Thyroid), DNA tested clear of the long-coat
factor.  #1 Male German Shepherd Dog in the Country, #4 German Shepherd Dog in
the Country, as of 6/30/10 (Canine Chronicles)    First male German Shepherd
Dog Grand Champion.
From: Barbara Amidon <amidon481@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:30:39 GMT

Both mother and father of my Champion Ambers Stockbroker were normal coated but
carried the coat gene..Stockbroker did not produce coats he was coat free.but
most of the litter were coated..Barbara Amidon
HR Masters Degree Online
Earn Your Master's Degree in Human Resources Development - 100% Online
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4c632cd7605bd66faabst03duc