[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Long Coats

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 08:53:16 -0700

As we all know there is no perfect dog or in this case a perfect German
Shepherd. We all love our dogs, perfect or not. But we all (I hope) are
striving toward achieving this perfection.
I had my share of "coats" in litters and was happy when people preferred to
purchase such a puppy and who, perhaps, thought differently as they grew up.

The point is that you try to breed away from it as they are faults. To me it
seemed necessary to do just that rather than promoting it.
Words used like "mean spirited" are definitely out of context and really
need to be reconsidered. We are still talking about faults, right? So, why
not accept this and try to correct it?
I also believe that a "coat" class is nonsense. I think our powers that be
could have thought of something more acceptable if the money problem was an
issue. Sorry!
Lee F.

  From: Terra Fairburn To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, June 30,
2012 11:00 AM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Long Coats

  Geez the way some people on this list are talking about long coated dogs
and other dogs with faults makes you wonder if they would like to see these
animals shot at birth or later when the fault is detected.  Every time you
all say some of the "mean spirited stuff and language" really drives more
and more people away from the GSDCA.  Are we just a bunch of snobs and
elitist that think there really is a "PERFECT" German Shepherd?  I am so
thankful that people want to raise, love, and provide for my imperfect dogs
that yes I breed.  Without those kind souls that find this "imperfect
animal" a loving companion, I would either have to destroy them or stock
pile them in kennels so I can continue to breed for that "PERFECT GSD" to
show in the breed ring or at the National.
  Please think what you are saying about someone's beloved dog/bitch.
Please just let it go and be happy that someone else gets to play in the
sand box with all the rest of the "PERFECT DOGS" at the National.

  Take your anger out at the Dunk Tank.  But remember how you maybe hurting
some ones feelings before you keep going on about long coats.  Everyone
knows they are a fault.  Just like all the dogs with bad tails that are
sometimes rubber banded prior to showing, or the teeth that have rubber
bands on them prior to the show, or all the products used to enhance the
coats etc., and oh yes the drugging for poor temperaments, and the terrible
gait issues....everyone knows that horrendous stuff is going on and where
are you on that illegal stuff.  The long coat is a visible fault so there.
If they want a class to show them off...go for it and appreciate that
someone loves them like you love your "perfect GSD!

  Terra Fairburn
  Keggi Fair

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any post.