[ SHOWGSD-L ] Livestock dogs

  • From: ROBINHAUSGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:48:04 EDT

We have not been involved in any herding.  We do have a Great Pyrenees  who
is a livestock guard dog.
We have a coyote problem and have lost some of our registered Boar goats to
 them

We got a 4 year old neutered male Pyrenees who is amazing.  Not only  does
the guard the goats, he puts them where he thinks they need to be.   This is
not a herding breed but he can move the herd.

If he perceives a threat along a fence line he will move them to another
area and then go back and bark at whatever he smells or hears out there.

The goats totally accept him and he sleeps in the barn with them when he
wants to.  They go where he puts them  when he wants them  to.  Sometimes he
moves them to another area of pasture and sometimes he  puts them in the
barn.  Amazing to watch him work.

Pat Robinson
ROBINHAUS