[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Live animals on EBay

  • From: Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:38:31 EST

This is the response I got from Ebay
Thanks  for getting in touch with me to share your views regarding new
services weâ??re  considering to bring sellers and buyers of pets together.
Itâ??s
clear that our  members see a strong distinction between pet adoption (e.g.,
the
kind offered  by responsible local shelters and advocated by leading animal
welfare  organizations) and selling pets for profit, which unfortunately can be

associated with behavior thatâ??s inhumane and/or illegal.  I want you to  know
that we at eBay.com understand and agree with this distinction.
Based on  responses from members like you â?? including many animal welfare
professionals  -- weâ??re going to exclude commercial breeders and for-profit
sale
of pets from  further consideration.  Instead, weâ??ll focus the discussion on
listings  of available rescue animals from vetted local shelters to support
responsible  pet adoption.
Itâ??s  clear that we need to proceed very carefully. As our plans take shape,
weâ??ll  again ask for input from our community. In the meantime, thanks for
sharing  your views with us.

Sincerely,

Lori

Cathleen Bennett