[ SHOWGSD-L ] List Viability Test - GSD Structure & Movement

  • From: "Evan Ginsburg" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "elg440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:38:42 -0400

That is always a good question. It is form vs function. It is correct that if a
dog is built correctly it will move correctly. It is also true that if a dog
moves correctly, it will have to be built correctly.

If you do need to feel the shoulder lay-back, or look at the angle of the
stifle, or if you feel the need to measure with your fingers the distance
between the shoulders, that is fine. It will tell you want you should be
looking at, and may let you confirm what you are seeing.

To me, when you see movement, you know what goes into it. If the dog is not
clean coming and going, the dog is not built properly. That is why faults in
movement are faults.

That includes lack of side gait. That is a fault.

Each person uses the tools available to judge. One is to look at the angles.
But, then if the ligaments and muscles aren't proper, the angles do no good.

Movement is the best way to judge structure. Then consistency is to determine
condition. But, remember, there is nothing in the standard as to condition.

Read the standard. If the dog matches the standard, that is what should win. If
not, there are enough faults listed to help decide a winner.

Evan