[ SHOWGSD-L ] Line from the AKCs mission statement.....long

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:38:15 -0700 (PDT)

  While at the Mohegan Sun show in Uncasville Ct. I was able to obtain a flyer
that the AKC rep there was passing out. This was detailing the mission
statement of the AKC...and I QUOTE!!!!
"conducts approximately 5,000 kennel inspections annually to ensure the
integrity of the AKC registry and MONITOR CARE AND CONDITIONS AT KENNELS ACROSS
THE COUNTRY."
  If this is so, why have they not imposed any type of sanctions on the
puppymills?
  Are we to believe that they consider those living conditions acceptable?
What are the consequences that WE may face if they came to OUR facility and
were displeased with something? Are the puppymills exempt from sanctions?
DO they have the RIGHT to suspend AKC registration privileges if the living
conditions of the animals are less than satisfactory??? If they DO , then why
havent they? When I asked the rep at the show, her response was that they were
"working with the high volume breeders"....working to do WHAT exactly?
Their tag line reads..."We're more than champion dogs. We're the dogs
Champion". The dogs champion??? Where?! If their group CANNOT do anything to
stop the mills, then PLEASE do not print matter such as this and mislead the
public into thinking that they can! Otherwise, put their money where their
mouth is and DO SOMETHING.
  One thousand eight hundred souls are going on the auction block within the
next month...treated like nothing more than a commodity instead of living,
breathing, intelligent creatures who have endured brutality beyond your worst
nightmare. Some will sell for a few dollars to laboratories for
experimentation; some to go to yet another hell hole to be bred until they can
no longer make money; in the end drowned or shot.
If there were a cohesive effort on the part of not only the AKC, but the USDA
and the Purebred PC's and their associated Rescue organizations we might be
able to effect REAL change. To this point I would recommend that:
1.  AKC suspends registration rights from any facility not meeting at least the
minimum humane housing reguations (if in fact their corporation has the ability
to legally do this..if not please clarify your mission statement to that effect)
2. USDA worked TOGETHER with a consortium of Purebred dog breeders to determine
what IS indeed humane for these animals (similar to being judged in a courtroom
by your peers)

3. ALL purebred dog breeders microchip everything that leaves your kennel
thereby eliminating the possibility of one of YOUR pups ending in a gas chamber
or becomming the responsibility of Rescue and enabling you to locate and rehome
your dog

4. end AKC involvement in puppy mill auctions

This morning I was greeted with over 200 requests for homes for dogs. On each
site there were as many as 50 dogs; more than 50% of them were purebred dogs.
One shelter has 34 puppies that are going to be gassed by the end of the
day.....one shelter. Some of these pups were obviously high GSD mixes...the mom
looked to be purebred. I have no time to find foster for her, she was posted
only last night. Her fate and the fate of her babies is sealed.
Dawn Restuccia

Be a PS3 game guru.