[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Linda Shaw's vision of the breed our illustrator

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tigra12@xxxxxxx" <Tigra12@xxxxxxx>, Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:08:38 -0600

Jackie and others...Go grab this month's issue of the Gazette..read
Patricia Trotter's article..about "master" breeders..and the lost art of
breeding. Her article is relevant to this topic as she points out that we
have too many making decisions about the breed(and not just ours) who have
no expertise.. Ms Trotter points out that random indiscriminate decisions
made by those who are only interested in giving their interpretation of how
"they" think the breed should be are going to have a serious and possible
detrimental  impact on future generations. Ms. Trotter points out also that
in the day of the large kennels...the kennel "masters" governed the
breeding..they were comprised of a handful of breeder's who had a like mind
set and knew the direction the breed should go. They knew what problems
needed to be fixed..and what qualities needed to be maintained. They guided
each other and shared a love a dedication to their breed. Today..people
claim they want guidance..yet when guidance is offered it is usually met
with disparaging remarks. What they really want is to do as they wish and
give their opinions..whether they have merit or not. Ms.Trotter points out
that many today don't have the selection skills to solve problems or
maintain qualities as the masters did...she finds this troubling..so do I.
She also points out that many "master" breeders are becoming an aging
population..a point that is being well made in our GSD family as of late.
 I have not seen the current illustrations by Ms.Shaw...I did see some from
the past...after viewing the first group..I was inclined to think that Ms
Shaw did not share a "like mind-set" or a feel for the "direction" that
many of us believe the breed needs to follow. Ms.Shaw is entitled to give
her opinion on her website about whatever direction she feels the breed
needs to take, no matter how misguided it may be. However..what does
concern me is Ms.Shaw's personal opinion spilling over into the illustrated
standard..This again, takes us right back to Ms. Trotter's point...too many
making decisions and giving their own interpretation of  what direction the
breed needs to go..without sufficient knowledge and expertise. C.Grainger

American