[ SHOWGSD-L ] Limp or not

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 19:46:19 EDT

No, this is not an enhancement advertisement.

We finished a male in the 80s that had an UAP.  However, the vet said  to
take it out he would have had to hammer and chisel it out, as it was grown in
solid with cartilage.  The dog never limped a day in his life and loved to
run.
 We never promoted him at stud, but the x-rays were clear.

I have known dogs with terrible hips that never limped.  The problem I  have
with OFA is that the radiographic evidence is not always an indicator of  the
working abilities of the animal. It is however, a good tool to use when
choosing a breeding, but should not be the only thing you use.

I knew a breeder that selected his males to breed to by only those with
excellent hips. Although he had a great bitch to breed, and had a number of
litters, he never produced anything spectacular.  He is now out of  breeding.
remember another friend who put down five of her six bitches  when they first
started to x-ray elbows. She is also out of breeding.

If you limit yourself to one factor, other than the best dog available, you
will never improve your lines.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, just frustrating for you and
good for me and those who will be beating your dogs and improving the breed in
general.

Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come   together

In a message dated 5/25/2008 4:30:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

How can  so many of these DJD I dogs live entire lives running, jumping,
living what  appears to be a comfortable life if they have a serious elbow
abnormality?

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.