[ SHOWGSD-L ] Levelling the Playing Field

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:23:28 -0700

There's one thing that for sure will level the playing field in the Futurity
- but no one wants it.  So, as far as leveling the playing field goes with
this new thing. I have one thing to say. STOP TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL.
All these new fangled things may not bring people to exhibit at this
breeders match.

I had my first litter in 7 years earlier this year.  I have great owners on
the puppy owners who went to puppy homes.  I am pretty proud of the pups and
wouldn't even mind if all 5 were presented at a futurity, they were pretty
nice overall.  But then, I remember what a Futurity is really supposed to be
about - what the sire and dam are able to produce together.

HOWEVER - there is no way in hell I'm going to even try to suggest that any
of these people enter and show their puppies at our NW futurity next year.
because even though they probably would have no problem doing it - I
wouldn't even ask them to spend the money to enter then a further $150-$500
for their puppy to go into the ring for ONE CLASS - 30minutes tops.  NO WAY.
I think one or more of them may consider having their children show their
animals, just for fun, and I'm going to do what I can to help them learn
some of the ropes before the show - but otherwise, I doubt any will be
exhibited.

So, there you have it.  I fully support the Futurity System and always have,
but can't in good conscience ask my companion puppy buyers to consider the
futurity with the current expenses involved.

Kathaleen