[ SHOWGSD-L ] Letters 1634

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:08:20 -0700

Hi all...
Here is the 1 page (keeps their attention and easy to read) version for the
assembly members. You all can do the same...but remember to fax or snail mail
them a copy...getting ready to fax them now.

Paul

April 6, 2007

Assemblyman Alberto Torrico

State Capitol

Sacramento, CA

Re: AB 1634

Dear Assemblyman Torrico,

I am writing in opposition to AB 1634 and I urge your "NO" vote.

AB 1634 is passed; it would take away pet owners property rights that are
guaranteed by the Constitution of the US. AB 1634 would prohibit pet owners and
their veterinarian's ability to make critical decisions regarding their pet's
health. AB 1634 would undermine a vet's training and experience and turn it
over to a local agency with no such expertise.

Proponents of Mandatory Spay & Neuter assume pets end up in shelters due to
overpopulation and MSN will solve that problem. However, if you go to the
Humane Society of the US (a proponent of AB 1634) web site, you will find that
7 out of 10 responsible pet owners already spay and neuter their dogs. The
irresponsible pet owner, that doesn't obey existing law, will so suddenly have
an epiphany and obey AB 1634.

Local Animal Control Offices will become the enforcement arm of this unfunded
mandate. Communities that have passed such coercive legislation in the past
have found it to be counter productive. Registrations plummet and more people
fall beneath the radar causing a drastic reduction in fees needed to fund the
law. Montgomery County, MD lost over $250,000 per year and had to fire several
Animal Control Officers in the 5 years their law was in force. They repealed
the law but it took another 5 years to regain what they had lost.

AB 1634 will affect economy and jobs in California communities, too.  There is
a Billion $ industry in our state that happens every week up and down the
state. When dog and cat show exhibitors are forced to pay license and intact
fees, many will not be able to afford to show. Millions will be lost to
restaurants, hotels & motels, gas stations, and any other business these
exhibitors might utilize.

Irresponsible pet owners will not obey 1634 and the costs will be passed on to
the most responsible of California's citizens. Educate don't legislate. If the
Assembly would authorize the teaching of "Responsible Pet Ownership 101" K
through 12 there would be no need for such draconian laws. Imagine if AB 1634
was directed at people. Education worked with "recycling". Teachers teaching
students to save cans created a Billion $ industry. If we educate those same
kids we can graduate class after class of "Responsible Pet Owners".
Educate.don't legislate.

Please vote NO on AB 1634.

Paul Root- Owner                                    Board Member

Diablo Kennels                                                    German
Shepherd Dog Club of America

2077 Willow Pass Rd                                 AKC Licensed Judge

Bay Point, CA 94565

925 458-4150

Visit Rivendell on "Da Web" www.diablokp.com