[ SHOWGSD-L ] Letter of the Law V. Spirit of the Law...long

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

Years and years ago during one of my "criminal justice" classes at San Jose
State Univ. we discussed the difference between the "Spirit of the law" and the
"Letter of the law"...let me use examples to make my point ( Basu and other
Canadians pay close attention)...say you are driving one or two miles over the
speed limit, well you have actually broken the law and you can be rightfully
given a speeding ticket...but that's not going to happen because you have not
broken the "Spirit of the Law".....now let's say ( and this would never happen
to any of you guys) you get pulled over for  Drunk Driving....the legal limit
is .08 and you blow a .09....you only went over by a little bit....that's
right, you guessed it, you're going straight to jail because some laws for
obvious reasons must be strictly enforced......I don't know what exactly
happened at the Futurity in Washington last month, I was not there. I was told
that the "four month handling rule'' came into question and was
 possibly violated...well if this is in fact true, to me this is like the
"drunk driving" law. The letter of the law should be enforced. The appearance
of  fairness should never be sacrificed. Whatever the penalties are for
breaking this rule should be enforced fairly and quickly. None of us are
perfect, ... Dr. Phil said...if you choose the behavior, you choose the
consequence....FB