[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Let's review........

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: LauraEG@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:06:42 EDT

I sure agree with that.  I am not sure if that was said in jest, but this
would not be a good idea.  There are more issues indoors that one could
imagine.
It would be great if we could do the test at a firing range.  I have taken
all my dogs up to the Police Academy to desensitize them to gunshots.  A couple
still don't like heavy fireworks, (the kind that rock the house) but do not
react to a gunshot or thunder.
Someone mentioned the weird stranger is not a good test because if the
handler is not concerned, the dog will not react.  I disagree.  Not too long
ago, I
was at a show where my handler was approaching me and my dog.  He was acting
all silly and weird as he approached.  Goofing around, of course.  Well, I
didn't have the dog he was handling.  The dog I did have did not know him.  I
was
not concerned and was even laughing.  The dog went off.  Totally surprised me
as this dog is not the most alpha in the world.  In fact, I have been dealing
with confidence issues with this dog since I brought him home.  I guess I
don't have to worry about him protecting me :-)

My point, if the TC is done right, it is an effective tool in evaluating a
dog's temperament.  JMHO.

In a message dated 7/15/2006 8:54:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
LauraEG@xxxxxxx writes:
I think to do a gun test inside a building with 110 animals would be a
mistake and hard on everyone's ears.  If you do not believe in the TC,  don't
participate.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/