[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Let's review........

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jkerner@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:43:38 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2006 11:02:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
People  keep saying "the Temperament Certification tests all this" - I don't
trust  the TC anymore -- I've seen too much of the following that I won't
even  participate in it anymore:

1)       2 dogs, same  breeder - ZERO reaction passed this portion of the
test.  Every other  portion of the test, including the weird stranger, these
two dogs had very  little if any reaction to any of the stimuli.  They
passed.   These were not house dogs, they were owned by a breeder and housed
in a  kennel.
2)       1 dog - flipped out at the umbrella -  I watched carefully - several
minutes (not 20 seconds) later the dog had  still not touched the umbrella or
got close to it even with a lot of  coaxing.  The dog passed.
3)       Same dog -  Weird stranger came out - dog hung his head, looked
nervous.  Weird  stranger escalated - dog ran behind the handler (was visibly
scared).   Dog passed.
4)       This same evaluator had a  "trainee" evaluate their own dog as they
ran through the same test where  they were the "official" evaluator, it
passed.
5)     Another dog, when the umbrella was popped in front of them,  it
stood there and then went after the umbrella.  Failed.
6)   Another dog, when the weird stranger came out, they looked  at the
weird stranger, stood out alert, but not overly worried.  Low  score.
7)       Same dog as 6, when the weird stranger  escalated, the dog went out
to the end of the lead and barked in  warning.  Low score.
8)       Another dog, marked  low on the "friendly stranger" because the dog
wasn't "friendly  back".

Perhaps this is bad evaluating - but there are dogs out there  with TC's that
shouldn't have passed - and have gone on to gain the highest  awards possible
in the PC.

It seems to me that we should be repairing the existing test not making a new
 test that people can find there way around. Kathleen I wish you had video
taped  the Temp. test you describe above and sent it to the board. I am sure
they on  seeing this would take steps to correct this. With a PROPER  test
administered a lot of the questions you and several others have brought up
could
be addressed. They are valid questions and with a proper test [maybe a  little
tougher] many not all but many could be addressed. The key is to have  proof
of these transgressions hearsay won't do it. In fact a good rule and an  easy
one to administer would be to make it mandatory that all Temp. Test be  video
taped with the score sheet shown in the video.
Fred