[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Let's exist in the real world - Editor

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: BARBMARKH@xxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:48:27 EDT

That was a very sensible post, Barb.  I've seen a lot of jobs  filled
and criteria changed shortly afterwards.  About the time I got  my
current position, they also filled an analyst position at a GS-9  level.
Within a few weeks after she got the job, she was interviewed for
a GS 9/11 position on another staff.   Our manager and the  GS-12
analyst she was backing up put in a request to have her job upgraded
to a GS 9/11 so she wouldn't leave.   The job was upgraded - not
because they wanted to give her special treatment, but because
she was one of the few they knew from experience could do the
job without training, and because the GS-12 she was backing up
has some serious health conditions.  As a GS-9 the backup would
not be able to be detailed into the other job if something happened
(you cannot move more than 2 grades at a time).  If others knew
that the position would be upgraded, a lot more people would have
applied for the original announcement, but the position was not
reopened.  They also didn't say she'd have to stay at the lower
grade and the promotion would only apply to whoever got the  job
after her!   I've seen a lot of other cases like that, too.   It happens
all the time and it isn't illegal if there is a valid reason for the  change.
The only time I've heard of improved benefits being held until the
next person takes a position is when the current person has a vote
to make the change.  Last I heard, Susan isn't an officer in the
GSDCA and doesn't have a vote on Board  decisions.

I have a suggestion - how about putting the RFP on the member's
site?   That should stop all the rumors about what it did or  didn't
contain?

Janice

In a message dated 8/11/2006 9:41:11 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
BARBMARKH@xxxxxxx writes:
In a message dated 8/11/2006 11:12:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
"IF, somewhere along the line, the  criteria changes, in the "real  world",
jobs are RE-posted.  (Or  else, you're in a big heap of  trouble)."

I've watched this discussion with great interest - and I find it  interesting
that NO ONE has ever held a job where the job has changed  after you have
taken
the job.  I'm sure that if everyone felt that  MORE restrictions were
necessary that we wouldn't feel that since we had  filled the position that
we couldn't
change them until the next candidate  held the position.  People, in
business,
this happens all the time -  you take a job and your boss changes some of
what
you have to do - good or  bad - you can leave or you can do your job - THIS
IS
NO BIG DEAL.   I would like to hear why this change wouldn't be beneficial -
do we  believe that judges would favor her dogs so their ads got good
placement -  REALLY?  what other possible advantage could occur?  The ad's
color
improves?  And we always have the right to fire the editor and do it  again .
. . On
the other hand - could the magazine improve because the  person in charge is
more active in what is going on and not kept in a  cocoon.
If all past requirements for a job were the only way a job could  be done -
then progress would stop - some times we find the VERY BEST  person for the
job
then mold the job to keep the person - Lets consider  the other side here . .
.

Barb Hefner
Marquin  GSD