[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Let's all get real/doing it all

  • From: "Rachel Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:52:50 -0500

----- Original Message -----
"Why should we expect our dogs to do it all.  Doubt if you would ever see an
Assistance Dog/ Guide Dog/Search & Rescue Dog, doing Schutzhund!!!"
I see, breed, work with police dogs that each do agility, tracking, air-scent,
search and rescue, criminal apprehension, criminal search, public petting with
kids, going into classrooms, doing drug searches or bomb detection, visiting
senior centers, object guarding, scent discrimination, obedience and couch
potato-ing every day!
PS A bunch of them are also very beautiful, because their breeders were
emphasizing sound structure, as well as brains.

Like old Max said:
"The characteristics of the sheepherding dog, home dog and police dog are the
same: i.e. joy in work, devotion to duty, and to master, mistrust  against
strange & irregular things, docility & obedience, teachableness & quickness to
understand, and in addition, immunity to weather, uncommonly acute senses with
gifts for retrieving & seeking, assisted by his special gait by which he leaves
nothing unnoticed & unsought."

jmhpitao

Rachel & the Ark
"The whole question is not only a question of the dog/horse, but quite as much,
if not more so, a question of the fitness of the leader." Max v Stephanitz
Proud to be an American Working Dog Kennel
http://segensreich.homestead.com
http://www.workingdog.org