[ SHOWGSD-L ] Let's Talk About Heads (Holy cow, she lives!)

  • From: marcatogsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:47:47 -0400

So, I was looking at Mouse's head the other day and began comparing it with
Ranger's, and then that of my Zander's (RIP).
I found that overall, Strauss is closest to my ideal head piece, with Ranger
being second, and Zander being last.? All three were masculine, but it came
down to ear set and proportions.

I was wondering what constitutes a good head through the eyes of some fellow
GSD enthusiasts and "old timers".

What do you think makes a head "Coarse"?? When is a head too "refined"?? When
is a head elegant, but masculine, feminine, but not overly so??

What about ear set?

I have found that for me, a poor ear set ruins a head piece for me.? No matter
if it is striking masculine or inherently feminine, if the ear set is too wide
(as tends to be the "ruination" for me), I can't much look at the dog.? The ear
set is a matter of affecting expression more than anything else, and I think a
dog with "bat ears" tends to look "sad" or "forlorn" instead of noble and proud.

What do you think is too short a muzzle?? Too long?? How forgiving of you about
lack of stop, and roman noses.? Loose flews?? Wet dog, or dry?

And, while I know we all love this argument...can we try not to bring movement
into it?? We all know that our dogs do not herd on their heads, but heads are
an important aspect of the breed.? After all, we want dogs that look like GSDs,
not Salukis :-)

?- Jackie

http://mail.aol.com