[ SHOWGSD-L ] Lepto

  • From: Cheryl May <cmdogsports@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:52:24 -0800 (PST)

This is a note to encourage everyone take Leptospirosis very seriously. Three
years ago my wonderful performance bitch contracted Lepto. It took us a while
to figure out the diagnosis. I took her to vet chiropractors and several vets,
with no conclusions and no improvement. By the time she was diagnosed, she was
close to death. With excellent medical care at our local veterinary college,
she recovered. Still, she was never the same after having Lepto. Jumping was
more difficult and her temperament wasn't as sound as it had been.

Nine days ago we learned that bacteria had destroyed her gall bladder and
seriously damaged her liver. Her chances for recovery were very low, so we
opted to put her down. This was the most heartbreaking decision I've had to
make in my life. This girl was one of my two all-time favorite dogs. I simply
adored her and we were very close. She was my "assistant" and picked up
anything I asked and was a great chore dog around the house. I just didn't
think it was fair to her to put her through major surgery with little chance
for survival. I did what I thought was best for her, though it was an
excruciating decision for my husband and me.

My point in writing is to encourage everyone to take Lepto very seriously. Even
after a dog has "survived" Lepto, the bacteria can live on in the dog and
destroy internal organs.

I'm writing so that no one has to go through the pain my husband and I are
going through right now. Beware of Lepto. It is far more serious than most of
us realize.

- Cheryl May, Manhattan, Kansas