[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Leaving (Helen Franklin)

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sincagsd@xxxxxxx, helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:21:18 -0800 (PST)

or sometimes a breeder takes a chance on a new person,  it doesn't  happen
often, but it happens
* * * * * * * *

I just have to point this part out because it says so much about us in the
sport.

We are not really wanting new people to join us in  the American Spec. ring. We
just don't want the old ones to stop showing.  Many think that trusting a good
dog to a newbie is a waste, many complain that mentoring is a royal pain in the
butt. They call and ask all of the questions we did when we first fell in love
with the show-ring but we are too darn busy now to answer the questions. They
need to pay their dues. ( Always wondered what the heck this meant)

It could be that the newbies do not think it is worth the 600.00 dollars for a
weekend show to be made to feel like an outsider. But what the heck do they
know anyway.

I wonder what we will be saying 20 years from now something like........

Remember when there used to be regional clubs for GSD's and they held shows
sometimes 2 on the same weekend.

They used to pay handlers big bucks to show their dogs and people would come
from outside the state to show under judges that they really liked.

It says in this old GSD Review, that used to be the German Shepherd Dog Club of
America's national magazine, that they even held Futurity's and Maturities in 9
different regions across the USA.

Look at the dogs in the book. they sure don't look like the dogs we have today.
I wonder why they wanted them posed that way.

I wonder what happened to caused it to fail. I guess they all got old and faded
away.

Just something to think about.
Terry

Bill Sinclair <sincagsd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
month boy that when I walked him to the specialty ring, people turned and
looked, many came up to me and asked about his breeding. I was very new to the
sport then, so I just thought everyone was being very nice. At his futurity he
won his class and there was lots of applause from people who I did not even
know. His competition that year was "Flag" and of course Flag won. One of the
proudest days of my life as I had also bred him. Gloria, SINCA GS
From: jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx (Jean Mccann)

Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:11:37 -0600

Subject: Re: Leaving (Helen Franklin)

Helen wrote that "even if this is your very first show,if you have a
SUPER-STAR,the handlers will be falling out of the trees..." Well,I just
want to respectfully say that the chances of a newbie walking in with a
"super-star" are slim to none...super-stars are hard enough to come by,and
they usually stay with their breeders or go to KNOWN breed-people.
(understandably) I mentioned in an earlier post that it is hard for the
newbie to first GET a good (not super-star,but competitive) dog,and then to
compete for a top handler when there are other,much more "known dog people"
with a dog of equal merit. WHO the dog belongs to also counts. I was simply
saying there are several "hurdles" a newbie has to surmount,not the least of
which is the cost of it all ,and many do give up in discouragement . But
there are those of us that are attempting to hang in there.

Jean

POST is Copyrighted 2004. All material remains the property of the original

POST is Copyrighted 2004. All material remains the property of the original

Terry Cochran
www.FairwayShepherds.com
www.Rightdog.com    RightDog Photography

 The all-new My Yahoo! ? Get yours free!