[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Leaving

  • From: Stephen Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:00:19 -0800 (PST)

In my brief (3 years) experience with the breed, I find the expenses
to be a major factor in limiting the number of dogs we show, and the
number of shows we enter.  I have not been in the Sport long enough
to notice a decline, but I take very seriously what the experienced
Listers are saying.  Ed is right, we need to do something, and soon,
if our Breed is to survive in the Conformation venue.

Does anyone know if other Breeds are experiencing the same decline in
numbers of people entering and showing?  If this is happening in the
other breeds, what, if anything, are they doing to reverse the trend?
 If not, how are they keeping their people in the Breed and the
Sport?

How about the expenses for showing in the other Breeds?  If ours are
proportionally higher, we need to determine why, and see if we can
find a way to fix the problem.  How about Handlers in the other
Breeds.  Do they show their own dogs at the same shows where they
handle a client's dog?  And how do their fees and expenses compare?

It seems to me that there are a lot of things we could learn from the
owners and exhibtors in the other Breeds, that we may be able to put
to our own use, for our beloved Breed.  I don't know if such a study
has ever been done on a formal basis, but possibly the PC could
undertake one.  Also, since I know very little about long-term
trends, maybe the more experienced members of the List could offer
some info.

Steve

=====
Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com