[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Leave us Alone

  • From: Skeloosh@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:23:15 EST

Hello,

Just a lurker here, but I feel that even MORE NEEDS to be done regarding  the
temperament of the GSD.

The general public is afraid of the GSD.  In some ways that's good, as
hopefully that will get down on the BYB's and Puppy Mills.

Yet again, we don't want to get to the state where the American Pit Bull
Terrier is, where every dog bite or attack is blamed on a Pit, or a Pit  Mix.
Our
breed is already getting blamed enough for attacks.

Yes, I agree, the BYB and Puppy Mills have made the breed worse, so that
means ALL responsible breeders need to try even HARDER TO MAKE THE BREED
better.
I, as a pet sitter hear weekly about the temperament of the GSD, and also
the health concerns.  Heck, ever John Doe knows about bad hips in the  GSD.
They might not know anything else, but bad temperament and the hips  are the
first things I hear about.  People ask me, aren't I afraid of  GSD's?  afraid I
will be attacked while I pet sit them.  Or I'm asked  about the GSD and their
bad hips.
The responsible breeders, judges, all types of show people, from Sch. to
conformation, to Obed. and herding, need to address this.
That way, there will be no doubt in the general publics mind that the GSD  is
the all around family dog that everyone tells stories about when they were
young. You don't hear the general public telling those same stories in this day
 and age.
I know, I know, all these people are doing 100% to improve the GSD, but  even
more needs to be done!

Makes you wonder how's the GSD different now than it was 30 years ago.

Sharon/Skeloosh
Greenwood's Typhoon,
Rook von Shiloh
Ateela the Hunny
Skeloosh

In a message dated 2/28/2005 5:51:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
f.fasano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What can  be done to correct the  situations above? The amount of
conversation on the  list and at our  last Board meeting indicates that a
change is needed. Are  there any  suggestions on how we can get  a more
uniform exam, put  teeth into  the results, prevent stalking and thereby
improve the breed.  Should the  exam be dropped at the all breed shows?

I wouldn't suggest  dropping a temperament test. Temperament is  important in
our breed.  However, it might be time to stop making such a big deal  out of
it.  Let the judges do the judging, stop demanding extra emphasis on
temperament, and watch to see that the breed continues to improve.

I  used sarcasm the other day to talk about how we would be all  putting up
spooks unless the temperament police convicted us for doing it.    I have
faith
in the judges. For those who would do it wrong, sending a  tape  isn't going
do any good.

Leave us alone, we will do it  the right way. Trust me.   Have I ever lied to

you?

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type  Movement  and Temperament come together