[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Laxatives for dogs?

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:15:58 -0400

We had a bitch with epilepsy who had a severe problem with constipation.
They cleaned her out at the Vet hospital, then suggested we mix canned
pumpkin into her food.  It helped.

We also started adding pumpkin to the rest of our dogs' food on a regular
basis.  They love it and it helps stimulate their appetite during the
summer.  Their stools are great.

Pumpkin can be used to regulate diarrhea or constipation.  Just like fiber
in humans.  Just make sure the pumpkin is PLAIN - no spices added.

And *always* get a dog checked out by a Vet if it develops constipation.
This is *not* normal!  There could be an underlying condition causing the
constipation.

Ileana, I'm glad you told your friend to call her Vet!

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam