[ SHOWGSD-L ] Late entries & entry confirmation

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:14:44 EDT

We have now heard about some of the reasons why people make late  entries.

And this is not only with specialty clubs, lots of people make last day
entries for the all breed shows.  The difference is that you can make  last day
entries for the all breeds at the superintendent web site and pay with  a
credit
card, so if you are ok paying the extra fee, it is no big deal.   You never
deal with a person, but your entries are in. The all breed  superintendents
will email you an entry confirmation the same day, so there is  no guessing.

When you are traveling for more than 1 hour (that's MY limit) it shouldn't
be a big deal to confirm that your entries made it.  If you are taking time
off from work, or making flight reservations, or have to find a pet  sitter it
is just smart to make sure your entry made it before you go  thru all the
arrangements and expenses.

Maybe specialty show secretaries will be better off just sending an email
confirmation and not having to deal with all the phone calls.  I am sure  this
can take some getting used to, but if another club member would help,  it could
be a solution. Of course, that person can not be exhibiting at the  show.  We
all know the rules. If you don't, look them up. Not rocket  science.

I've been a show secretary many times.  It is a lot of work, and  without
exception, the last 2/3 days were always the busiest.  I didn't ask  people why
they waited until the last minute, I was more than happy to take  their entry
and their money <G>.  You have all seen the show  secretaries who post on the
list as soon as possible after their entries close,  whether they have majors
or  not.  That is a nice gesture.

As a show secretary, I never had anyone get pissy over a misspelling, and
many a times I had to call the owners to change a puppy class, because the pup
was entered incorrectly.
No big deal, I knew that it was going to be difficult at times, but I
volunteered, nobody made me. Entries arrived with no check, or the  wrong
amount. So
you make it work, because it means more dogs. Even at the  all breeds, they
put a hold on your armband until you clear it up, but they  take your entry.

I had an entry never made it, and the people showed up at the show. Yes,
they were upset, and I had to talk to them, but they understood. I received the

entry days after the show, all torn up. Not their fault, not the club  fault.
They entered other shows after that and always called to make sure  their
entry got in.  I had no problem talking to them, because we now had a
"history".
If I had people's email, I would email them when I got their entries,  it
made MY life easy.

I like that many clubs are asking for the email address, it sure makes
things easy if you can just email the confirmation, and the judging program.
The
club can save on mailing cost. I am not sure is this is totally ok with AKC,
but  it would a nice thing to do. With all the  brains we have in here, I am
sure someone can create a program for that.

Dania made some good suggestions as to how to help your  entry go  smoothly.

All systems can use an overview every once in a while.

It is not the end of the world, as we know it <G>.

Ileana