[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Lance and why he produced

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:32:10 EST

In a message dated 11/27/2005 9:26:55 PM Central Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
Remember that Lance was an out cross
Dania brought up the cross on the Osnabrukerland "R" litter.  It should also
be mentioned that a trace of Germany's lines will often go to that same
litter, according to what I've read.
When Lance was born, the breed was about 65 years old.  (I don't have exact
birth dates ... I'm rounding numbers off.)  If we were to trace his pedigree
back that far, we would find that in fact Lance, and any German Shepherd dog,
is
heavily backmassed on just a few dogs.  So, if American GSD breeding
continues on the same trend it has for decades, will we be able to declare our
breedings to be "outcrosses" in the year 2030, even though all lines will still
go to
Lance?  The reasoning is the same.  There are no true outcrosses within
breeds where pedigrees are concerned, and that fact is exaggerated by the
reality
that the GSD is a relatively young breed.

The thing that people never think about is the reality that genes do not have
brothers and sisters.  If there is one simple gene for down ears, or any
other particular trait, it is the same gene in brother and sister as it is in
dogs
of completely different breeds.  Every dog has a sire and a dam and each sire
and dam give a separate assembly of genetic makeup.  If you start with one
sire and dam, and then never breed out from the resulting progeny, you will
likely be working with a fairly narrow gene pool.  However, the moment you
breed
one of those progeny out to a less related dog, you will have most likely
returned to the more diverse gene pool that you started with, but likely with a
different mix of genes.  It is not enough to trace a pedigree and see only how
many times a dog goes back to any one particular dog.  You must also consider
the genetic input given by those hundreds of bitches who were bred to that stud
dog.

Tom Langlitz